Monday, March 5, 2007

By David W.


In The Old Man and the Sea, the author Hemingway had a central theme in this novella. The central theme is that “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey.” I got this impression because Hemingway’s decision to have his main character, Santiago, have a four day struggle with a giant marlin and in the end, lose his prize fish. There are many examples throughout the story that support that general theme.

The first quote shows that although he has only half of the mutilated fish left, he still reflects on all the things he did along the way and is still looking for continuing the journey until the last piece of fish is gone. That is why Santiago states: “Half fish” he said. “Fish that you were. I am sorry that I went too far out. I ruined us both. But we have killed many sharks, you and I, and ruined many others” (pg. 115). That quote shows that throughout the journey he has bonded with this great fish. It is also suggestive that through his journey he has learned more things along the way than if he simply caught the fish and came right home.

This next quote gets a few points across that are supportive of the theme. One point is that even though he has reached his destination of catching this gigantic marlin, he still wants to continue the journey home. Most men at his age would just settle for the fact that he actually caught the fish, but Santiago still wants to continue and try to return home with the fish. His wanting to continue his “journey” is represented in this following quote: “Keep my head clear,” he said against the wood of the bow. “I am a tired man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work” (pg. 95). The final point this quote will show is that even though Santiago believes the journey is taking the fish home and not the actual experience of catching the fish, he has bonded with this fish to the point where he considers him his brother. That also is suggestive that throughout the journey he has achieved something greater than just catching the fish or the fish being taken by the sharks.

The final supporting quote shows the opposite views of how Santiago perceived the journey versus how Manolin perceived it. Santiago felt defeated at the end showing that he believed that he failed at the "destination" of returning this fish home. That is why the defeated Santiago says, “They beat me, Manolin,” he said. “They truly beat me.” Manolin then says to Santiago, “He didn’t beat you. Not the fish” (pg.124). However, Manolin believed that he had achieved his goal by actually catching this fish and that he learned more about himself throughout the journey. That is how this quote is supportive of the theme.

As you can see through the three supporting quotes, the theme of the journey being more important than the destination is evident throughout the story. However, how do I apply Santiago’s teachings of this theme to my own life? Well, for a start Santiago is always looking ahead not necessarily to his destination but to what he can do for the journey. That is something I can apply to anything that I do in life. Another thing I can take from this theme in the story is the fact that in life you do not always reach your desired “destination” so to speak, but as Santiago teaches us, you can learn much more through the journey than you ever could through reaching your destination.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) This thesis was clear and to the point. It was explained and developed as the essay continued.
2) The quote, “Half fish” he said. “Fish that you were. I am sorry that I went too far out. I ruined us both. But we have killed many sharks, you and I, and ruined many others” (pg. 115). was my favortie because it showed Santiago had won the physical battle with the marlin but had lost the battle for pride becasue his fish was destroyed.
3) This essay stayed on its target. It explained the theme and moral of the story and went on to describe them with great detail and precision.
4) No advice for such a well written essay.

Anonymous said...

Dave, your thesis sentence was good and to the point. It helped bring me into the essay. I also like the qupte “Half fish” he said. “Fish that you were. I am sorry that I went too far out. I ruined us both. But we have killed many sharks, you and I, and ruined many others” it shows that Santiago is questioning himself why he went out so far. He is angre with himself he went so far out because he has nothing to return with.

I liked how the essay was very clear and understandable, I dont have anything to help you with so good luck on your grade.

Anonymous said...

David, I thought your essay was very well written. I thought your thesis statement was very concise and strong. I liked the quote where Santiago referenced the fish as his “brother”. Also, your piece had very good organization and flowed well in my mind. I think you did a very good job and wouldn’t change much next time your write a similar piece.

Anonymous said...

You had a good introduction paragraph. It let me know what you were going to be talking about throughout the story. You really did a good job on connecting Santiago to the fish

Anonymous said...

A pretty well written essay, a few blotches here and there, but well written. The blaring point in this essay however, was that you constantly referenced to a quote that you haven't told us!"The first quote shows that... This next quote gets a few points across... The final supporting quote shows" These quotes were taken from the first line of the three main paragraphs. I had no idea what you were talking about unitl near the end, and even then I wasn't sure about what you were trying to say.
Grammar was spot on, I didn't notice one error, but you did seem a little too blunt: "...had a central theme in this novella. The central theme is that..." You dod this rpetty often throughout the essay.
It was above average, but nothing really SPECTACULAR. Try reading it over and editing a bit, it would really up this essay.