Monday, March 5, 2007

By Victoria R.

Everyday people face obstacles and other forces. People are affected in many different ways. Some people are affected mentally, and some physically. In the novella, The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway, the character Santiago has to fight many mental and physical obstacles and forces.

Santiago went without catching a fish for eighty – four days. When he went out to sea on the eighty – fifth day, he went alone. The old man usually brought a young boy named Manolin along with him. Manolin wasn’t allowed to go fishing with Santiago because they had no luck catching fish and they weren’t making any money. After being out at sea for about a day, Santiago began to talk to himself and the things around him. He was struggling with being lonely. “Clear up, head,’ he said in a voice he could hardly hear, ‘Clear up.”(92)

Santiago also struggled against a fish. Ever since the marlin was hooked, he has caused Santiago a lot of strength and energy. The marlin was about one thousand pounds and eighteen feet long. It was just the old man against a huge marlin that was longer than his skiff and a line that could break any minute. He wasn’t expecting a fish that big. He had a very thin line and all he could do was wait until the marlin tired out and died. The marlin would circle the boat slowly and he would get closer and closer to Santiago’s skiff. “The speed of the line was cutting his hands badly but he had always known this would happen and he tried to keep the cutting across the calloused parts and not let the line slip into the palm nor cut the fingers.”(83) His hand and arm would cramp up, and he was getting very tired. Santiago was malnourished, he had very little water and food. The struggle with the fish made the old man weaker physically by the minute.

Towards the end of the book, Santiago struggled against hungry sharks. The marlin that he caught was drawing the sharks to the skiff. Santiago had to figure out how to battle the sharks and keep them from eating his catch. Santiago took his knife and put it on the end to the skiff’s oar to harpoon the sharks. He would punch the sharks with his fist when they came close enough and took the knife out of the oar to stab the sharks. When the blade of the knife snapped and sank down to the ocean floor with a shark, Santiago had to find a new way to defend himself and the fish from the oncoming sharks. He used the handle of an oar as a club and he broke of the tiller to beat the sharks. “He jerked the tiller free from the rudder and beat and chopped with it, holding it in both hands and driving it down again and again. But they were up to the bow now and driving in one after the other and together, tearing off the pieces of meat that showed glowing below the sea as they turned to come once more.”(118) Santiago was tired and weak from dealing with the sharks and most of the marlin was gone. In the end, he defeated the sharks and made it home alive.

Santiago struggled with many obstacles and forces throughout the whole book. Some of the struggles were mental and others were physical. Whether it was being alone or fighting pain and sharks, Santiago was able to get through each obstacle by himself.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your thesis was to the point and it stated what you were going to talk about. It kept me engaged. My favorite quote was in the third paragraph. I liked it because it was very descriptive and made a good picture in my head. One thing this essay does well is describe the plot. It gave a good overview of the book. But I think that you should try and cut down on the plot summary. It got a little boring.

Anonymous said...

Vicki, I really liked your essay! Your thesis stated quite clearly what you were going to be talking about and in the end you restated it again to wrap up your thoughts.
“Clear up, head,’ he said in a voice he could hardly hear, ‘Clear up.” was my favorite quote or yours. It showed how Santiago was in need of sleep that he could barely hear his own voice. One thing that you did really well was you made the quote fit in with your paragraph and it just seemed to flow along without any awkwardness.
After finishing your essay, I thought it was very good. The only extremely small thing I noticed was with your quotes. I think I remember Mr. B-G saying something about keeping them on the short side. Your quotes fit perfectly in with each of your supporting paragraphs and I really wouldn’t change them but they were kind of long. I don’t know. Besides that teensy weensy little thing, I thought your essay was awesome! :)

Anonymous said...

I thought your thesis was very clear and it got to the point. I like how you represented all of the different struggles which you then introduced later in the story.
Your second quote was my favorite and it showed his struggle with him being lonely. This quote also showed how Santiago was tired and he was basically losing his mind. This quote drew a very good picture in my head.
I also liked how your paragraphs flowed very nicely together and I thought the quote fit very good together.

Anonymous said...

Vicki, I think you had a very clear thesis statement and it clearly opened and ended you essay. My favorite quote was “Clear up, head,’ he said in a voice he could hardly hear, ‘Clear up.” because it helped to show how he became lonely and started talking to himself. I really liked your introduction and conclusion because they got to the point. My advice is that maybe you should try rewording your general 'forces' because they are bluntly thrown in there. Otherwise I enjoyed it very much!!

Anonymous said...

Vicki, I really got what your thesis statement was and what you were trying to get across. I understood that the old man was having troubles.
Agreeing with Clare,I also liked the first quote. I could tell that he was in fact lonely, because he was talking to his hand.
Your essay was very good with the flow, and the quotes. I felt that this essay flowed very well, without any awkward spaces, and i felt you intergrated the quotes very well into your essay.

Anonymous said...

This was a very good paper. I agree with everyone who said your thesis was clear, to the point, and focused. Your introduction made me want to continue reading, unlike a few whose thesis alone was enough to make me direct away from their essay. You chose a lot of good quotes that were very meaningful. Your conclusion pulled everything together and I disagree with Stacy. I wasn't bored at all. I really like reading your work. Great job and keep up the happy. =)