Thursday, March 20, 2008

Old Man and The Sea essay by Alex M.


In the Old Man and the Sea, Santiago chooses to go out to sea trying to catch a giant marlin. However, this directly leads to his downfall. Being out at sea while you are 84 years old can and probably will be detrimental to your health. All sorts of things started to happen to him while he was at sea. First off, he was losing his physical strength. Then, he began to lose his mental strength. Finally, he came very close to being lost at sea, or at least very far from land, which definitely would have killed him.

While at sea, Santiago was exposed to tremendous physical stresses. He had to hold on the line with the marlin for an incredibly long time, more than many of us would be able to. He had to move the rudder around to steer, which, after a while, becomes very tiring to the arms. Santiago expresses his physical pain when he says: “‘I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work.’”(95). It says in several passages that he cut open his hands, and that they had severe cramps. That would have been extremely painful, but he had to hold the line because he wanted to catch the marlin, even if he died trying.

Santiago also faced many mental and emotional pressures while at sea. He was alone and he had no one to talk to, which forced him to talk to himself. He noticed this and thought that it was odd because he had never done that before. He was at sea for such a long time that he was probably in a perpetual state of fear, never knowing whether or not he would be attacked by sharks, hit by bad weather, or capsize. The narrator says: “He did not remember when he first started to talk aloud.” (39) This constant isolation may have caused him to develop a form of mental illness.

Santiago was very far from land, and he could have gotten lost at sea. Although good at navigation, after several stressful days at sea, one could imagine that he could get confused or go the wrong way. He was pulled out several miles from Cuba, to a point where he could no longer see the lights of the port of Havana. The narrator explains how serious this situation was when he said, “… the glow of Havana was not so bright.” (47) This did not happen, but it could have. After several days of dehydration (he had very little water with him), it would have been easy for him to have gotten

As you can see, Santiago’s decision to go out to sea directly causes him to die in the end of the book. All the stresses, both physical and emotional, took a toll on Santiago, as it would on any normal person. It is my firm belief that Santiago never wakes up from the sleep that he takes at the very end of the book. It would be almost impossible for him to anything otherwise.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex,

I really liked your essay. It was clear that your thesis was the challenges that had to be faced. It was very drawing with all of the descriptive language that was used.

The quotation that was the strongest was “‘I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work.’”(95). This supported the fact that he had a lot of stress.

The best part of this essay was the language used and description. An example of this is "Being out at sea while you are 84 years old can and probably will be detrimental to your health."

There is no advice that I am able to give. Fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

Alex,
I liked your essay. I think the thesis was even though something bad might happen, go for it. I liked how descriptive you wrote things too.
“‘I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work.’”(95). I like this quote because it shows how the old man killed the fish but considered it his brother and was glad its over.
I really did like the description in the essay. You did a good job with that. " Being out at see when your old can be determinal to your health."
I guess i don't really have any advice to give you. Nice essay.

Anonymous said...

Alex
Your essay was very well written and filled with description and big words. The thesis wasn't rough,b ut clear and understandable.
Your best quote was "I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work.’”(95). It was well intergrated into the essay paragraph.
Your best paragraph was the introductory paragraph. It was strong and well written.
No advice needed.

Anonymous said...

Alex, I really liked your essay. Your thesis was clear and you backed it up with examples very nicely. My favorite quote was, "He did not remember when he first started to talk aloud." (39)This is because you made it flow very nicely with the paragraph. Although it wasn't the most descriptive or creative quote, it helped prove your main point and made your writing more clear overall. I think that this quote also makes this paragraph the strongest too. I think that one thing you did very well in your story was making it clear and supporting your points strongly. I don't think anything needs to be changed in your essay, I liked it the was it was.

Anonymous said...

i thought this was a very well written essay and i would just change a few things. the opening paragraph was great! the thesis was clear, focused and got to the point. i wouldn't change that. i don't think the 4rd paragraph is finished. i don't know if that had to do with the computer or not, but you should get that fixed. my favorite quote was in the 4th paragraph. it was "... the glow of Havanna wasn't so strong now." this was my favorite because i used it in my essay. very nice job.

Anonymous said...

Dear Al,
Your essay was a worthwhile read. Your thesis was distinguished and you backed it up with examples very nicely. My favorite quote was, "He did not remember when he first started to talk aloud." I wrote about the old wrinkly mans obstacles too, and I put a quote that was exactly like this one in my essay. It shows how hard everything can be with a foggy mind. Your conclusion paragraph could have been a little better, but I like the effort. Like me, I think you need to work on your vocab but that’s it. So long fellow.

Anonymous said...

hey alex
i tought you essay was one of the best ive read so far. your beginnign paragraph made me want to keep reading. your thesis statement was very clear and you used lots of description to support that. my favorite quote would be the first. you got a little slppy near the end cause you didnt finish one of your paragraphs and you messed up your words in the last sentence. other than that it was good. great job!

Anonymous said...

Your style is vеry unique in cоmparison to other рeople I have гeаd stuff from.
Thank you for pοstіng when you have thе oppοrtunіty, Guess I
will just boοκmаrk this ѕіte.


Alѕo νisіt my blog; fry's electronic

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your writing. I am searching about term paper writing on different blogs. http://great-term-paper.com/