Thursday, March 20, 2008

Theme by Maddie D.


In the novella, The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway intertwines many different themes within the story. Each having there own significance. One important theme is to never give up on something you want. I believe this theme fits in with Santiago’s character towards the marlin, in my life, and in an everyday life of human being.

After spending four hard, treacherous days of trying to reel the marlin in, he finally does, and Santiago is left with only the remains of the fish. Santiago says with disappointment, “‘they beat me. They truly beat me.’ “Then Manolin replies, “‘He didn’t beat you. Not the fish.’”(124) although Santiago believes that he has failed, Manolin disagrees with him. Even though his fish was pretty much eaten by sharks, he still proved to everyone that he wasn’t an unlucky fisherman. After 84 days of not being able to catch a fish, then on the 85th day coming upon the most brutal marlin, Santiago didn’t come close to giving up. With his old age and not being able to eat for days, he was able to put up a great four day fight with the marlin. He had an experience that no one could ever say they had.

In my life, I have come very close to wanting to give up. Recently I had an experience that might never have happened. This year I wasn’t going to play basketball, but my family, and friend’s convinced me to play. I had the greatest time of my life. I have never worked so hard in my life. In the first playoff game we were losing and there wasn’t much time left. I’m sure everyone knew we were going to lose and wanted to give up, but no one did. We lost, but I know I wouldn’t change anything that happened over the season. I believe Santiago’s and my experience can relate. I thought a good quote that represents how Santiago never gives up was on page 93, “He took all his pain and what was left of his strength and his long gone pride and he put it against the fish’s agony and the fish came over onto his side and swam gently on the side…” This quote shows his determination and how he was willing to give all that he had left, which wasn’t much, to catch the fish.

When you want something, you should go for it. Even if it takes everything you have, you should never give up. I believe every person can relate to this theme. If you do give up I think you will be living with a few regrets in life. Santiago never gave up. The determination he shows to catching the fish is unbelievable. You can tell that his passion is fishing and he is willing to do anything to catch the marlin. “A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” (Page 103) Although Santiago was only left with pieces of the marlin, he came how with so much more. He came home with an experience of a lifetime. Santiago didn’t exactly get what he wanted, but he showed his pride for fishing and with that he proved himself to be a good fisherman.

Hemingway really shows how Santiago changes from the beginning of the book to the end. He battles the great marlin for four exhausting days. Santiago shows that when you have a passion for something, you should never give up. The theme really fits in with Santiago’s character and I’m sure me and everyone in the world can relate to it in someway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Madeline,
Your story was very well written. i can relate to your story because i did theme as well, and I believe that no matter what, you should never give up your dreams. I think that your first quote really stood out, and it was definitely one that fit in very well. Also, your usage of vocabulary throughout your writing piece was very creative. One thing i could suggest to you is to maybe talk a little more about something you could relate to yourself or your life. Overall, great job writing your essay, it was very creative and always exciting to read.

Anonymous said...

madeline-
you did a great job using interesting vocabulary and it made your essay better to read. your first quote fit perfectly and even though the other quotes worked well too, the first one was the best. i think you were smart to make your point reach out and connect to other people and yourself so they could get a better feel for what you were trying to get across. i think the only thing you could have worked on was your ending but everything was great!

Anonymous said...

MADDIE D,
good essay, it was very well written. your thesis statement was really clear and got to the point well. it pulled me into the essay and made me want to read the rest of it, just by reading the first couple sentences. after reading the whole essay, it was very good and had a lot of detail and you showed what the theme was very clearly. overall, it was very well done.