Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Roaster by Rachel L.


My friend Marian’s birthday was coming up
I wanted to get her something sweet
I finally decided on a beautiful roaster
On which she could cook her favorite kinds of meat

I looked all over for this roaster
I looked at ones of plastic, glass, and clay
I looked at ever store in town
And even broke down and looked on e-bay

At this point I was getting quite frustrated
For the perfect roaster I could not find
Visions of them danced in my head
(Which is another word for my mind)

I finally took a plane trip out
To the best roaster-maker in the U.S.A.
He said that he could personalize me a roaster
And that he could do it right away

The roaster came out gorgeous
I couldn’t wait to show Marian!
But when I gave it to her she told me
She’d recently become vegetarian

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This poem made me think of a roaster being given to a vegetarian. Rachel used an effective rhyme scheme that added to the fun of reading the poem. This poem was very humorous, and left me feeling cheerful. A roaster is a very uncommon topic for a poem, and I've never read any other poems or pieces of literature about a roaster. It was a creative idea!

Anonymous said...

rachel this poem is cute and funny. it left me thinking that the thought is really what counts. and it reminds of how at a birthday party your always hopeing that no one brings the same gift. but when that happens you feel embarrased and the same thing happened because, he wanted to get his friend the best gift but it ends up that he turned vegitarian. this poem left me inspired and left me feeling better about the times when this happens

Anonymous said...

I like this poem because it made me smile. The only thing I see is that a roaster is being given as a gift to this girls friend and she goes through all this trouble just to be let down by her friend becoming a vegetarian.
You rhymed very nicely and made the poem interesting to read.
I was happy after reading your poem because it made me smile.
This poem was completely original and I haven’t read anything else like it.

Anonymous said...

nice rachel =]

i totally agree with nikki, this illustrates that it's the thought that counts. sometimes you just have to be satisfied with your gift even if you don't really like it. your rhyme scheme gave the poem some form and structure, and kept it organized. This poem made me happy because it was about such a random topic that it was funny and made me laugh. i've never read anything like this before, but the random topic could compare to some poem's of shel silversteins.

and, why is there a picture of an otter?