Friday, October 12, 2007

Financial Worth vs. Priceless Moments by Julia L.


Today’s world is way too consumer-friendly. All those annoying pop-ups on the computer, flashy billboards, and magazines with 40 pages of advertisements, it’s crazy how many temptations we face each day. Everywhere we look, someone is trying to sell us something. Is it worth it? Do we really need everything that we buy? Does it have any value? What would you consider valuable? These are all questions that we have to ask ourselves everyday.


I consider my iPod and speakers of financial value. Everyday, at around 2:30, I switch on my iPod. The screen glows in life and the blue light on top of the speakers flickers on. It takes a moment, but sound starts to vibrate in the speakers. Finally, the beat to “Speak Easy” by 311 is playing full blast. I love this song. It is my favorite song of all time. The beat fills my head and vibrates the pen lying next to it. It can play any song I want it to, when I want it to, much better than the radio. It looks better then a clunky stereo, with the blue metal of the iPod and the smooth silver of the speakers. It is much easier to carry around, because it is so small. It is enough to get me energized after school. It gives me just enough motivation to start on my mound of homework everyday.

The lights are blinding your eyes, putting you and your band in the spotlight. We put our heads down and start hissing, building the anticipation. The drum major takes her position. Finally, the announcer says, “South Hadley TigerPride marching band, you may take the field in exhibition,” and the drum major blows her whistle and salutes. She gives the signal and we all stand up straight in the ready position, screaming “huh” at the top of our lungs. Off we go, trying to stay with the beat and footsteps, swirling patterns with music to go along. Forming set after set, aware of the penetrating eyes, but doing everything you can to ignore them. Concentrating on which direction you are supposed to be moving and the amazingly hard music you are supposed to be playing at the same time. We move through one song and the others start with just a momentary break to catch your breath. We move through one final set and we’re done, just as fast as we started. Sighing with relief, we march forwards and off the field. We did well, but not as well as we could have done. All shame-faced, we seed around Mr.Wardwell. He is not impressed, but what’s done is done and all we can do is hope. After, a brief motivational speech, we go and change out of our uniforms. Then, we run to bleachers as one massive group and have fun for the rest of the night. We talk and play games and try to forget the horrifying, but exhilarating experience that just ended.

Each of these moments has value to me. They each have their greatness and their flaws. My iPod and speakers are fun. I don’t have worry about who is watching when I scream my head off. In band competitions, I am part of something. Everything we do is in a group and in preparation for those few moments on the football field. I like being part of something and having so many friends, but those competitions are stressful. Both moments are a way of expressing myself, but if I had to pick one moment, then I would have to say the band competitions. It is stressful, but the fun that follows is something I would never trade. That sense of belonging is amazing, the band room is like my second home. I know I can talk to anyone in there. If one person has a problem, then everyone has a problem. We are a family.


In this consumer-friendly world, we really need to take a step back and examine ourselves. Do we need all of these little accessories or whatever we may have an impulse to buy? What would you rather spend your time doing? I made a list of all of my financial values and one of all of my priceless values, which was twice as long, but I did not realize that until I wrote it all down. I was blinded by the price tag that this world puts on everything. An iPod may be worth 150 dollars, but are you willing to give up the game-winning run or the Sunday traditions, moments when you are just so excited or when you are bursting with pride, for those 150 dollars. I wouldn’t trade one moment of exhilarating pride for a lifetime of listening to songs on an iPod. Many people are so tangled up in price tags that they do not realize the joy of priceless moments. Are these really the people that we want to be? I know that I am no longer one of them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore your essay! You really hit me hard with your anectdote about band. Both of your objects/memories are very strongly described. You conclusion was very convincing and really made me think. Next time, you might want to use different adjectives. Great essay!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia :)
I loved your essay comparing the band and your ipod. You did a great job! I think you described both the band and ipod really good. You used specific deatails relating to both, and you kept me intrested and not bored. My faveortie part was your talking about the competion in band and how its stressful, in yet your having the time of your life!

Your whole essay was really stong and no points stood out as weak. The only suggestion I would say is use a better word choice, but other than that, great job! :)

Anonymous said...

Julia ! Your essay was really awesome, and i could really understand what you thought was valuable. You were very good at describing the moment when you blare your iPod, and when you are in band competions. I hada wonderful image of what you must feel like.
I especially liked the way you wrote so strongly about both of your objects. It showed how much you truly care about your iPod and band competions. Next time, look out for grammer, I think there may have been one or two mistakes. Also, I know you can think of a more creative title, I mean seriously yours is kind of boring. Other than that you did an awesome job ! Ohh and i love your picture!

Anonymous said...

Julia! :]
Your essay was really good. I loved how you compared two things containing music. The way you described them was really good too. I liked how you could tell how you felt and you could get a clear image in your mind. I also liked how your beginning and conclusion revolve around the same question. I think maybe next time you should pick a more grabbing title, but other then that good job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia,
You did a great job on your essay comparing band competitions and your ipod. There was great imagery when you described band competitions thought that the conclusion was one of your strengths. Maybe use better word choice and I a better tile, but otherwise your essay was great!

Anonymous said...

Heyyy Julia!!
You did an amazing job writing this essay. I compelety understand why you value your iPod. Mine is a huge part of my life too. And I totally know where you're coming from about the whole band thing. I loved the story you told about you guys being a family, and not trading those moments for anything. That's how it is with friends. I think that a strength of your essay was expressing how you felt about both of your values. You really let me know what you valued and why you valued it. I think that one thing that you could do for next time is put in the three asterisks. It helps the reader keep up with what you're saying when you're changing subjects. Overall your essay was amazing and I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Julia!
I loved your essay a lot. There was so much description in it, and I could really tell just how much you value both your ipod and the band. I think that your strongest point was deffinately talking about the band. You added so much detail that I felt like I was there with you.
I don't think I can really give you any advice. It was so good! Maybe a bit different word choice next time? You did a great job, though!

Anonymous said...

Very nice essay Julia, just decided to read it because i saw the "instrumental house" made duringBand camp, so i knew band had sometrhing to do with your essay. It shows me alot by how influenced you are by music and by the art of music. This should be your ode(ode-giving yourself to something that makes you joyful) for music. I love music, but you seem to love music eveore, and i respect that. You have to show me that song "speak easy" by 311. Never heard of it. Every noun has an adjective, which means you described everytthing well, and ia am glad that you love music. Hope that you have a career in it!
Very good essay, very decriptive, 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

Hello Julia!

I really enjoyed reading your essay about values. It was very moving and I can tell that you wrote it with a lot of thought! You described both your priceless and price item very well.

I don't know what advice to give you? It was awsome! It really made me think that you need to value priceless things that you can't replace and can't put a price tag on. Overall, your essay was one of the best! Good job Julia!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia,
First of all, AH-MAZING job, I think its really good. You really used a strong vocabulary that helped me visualize exactly what you were writing about. I also love how you put so much voice into your work. The last paragraph was a little confusing though, it almost sounds like your Ipod doesn't mean that much to you because of it's worth.
Overall, I really enjoyed your essay.

Anonymous said...

Julia,
I liked your essay very much. I thought you were very descriptive about your ipod and band competitions. I thought your conclusion was the best part of the essay. You used great vocabulary, and I was not bored at any point. I do think that your opening paragraph could use some work. I enjoyed reading your essay!

Anonymous said...

Julia,
Wow. Wow again. I absolutely loved your essay. I knew exactly what you were talking about every step of the way. Your introduction and conclusion were definitely your strengths. They summed up the essay nicely and made me think about what I valued. I also loved your description of the band competition. I know exactly how you feel. (I don’t think you have anything to worry about, though. You did great at the last one!) As a recommendation for your next essay, I would say to explain a specific time that your Ipod helped you through something.