Friday, October 12, 2007

Value Essay by Lida H.

If you ask people at random what value is, you are bound to get many different answers. What is value though? How do we define value in a world like ours today? When you turn on the TV, radio, or go outside you see advertisements everywhere. Advertisements suggesting for you to get one thing or another and how it is a must have. I believe that value is much more than the latest technology, newest fashions, or this seasons top selling items. What do you think is valuable, and what isn’t?

I rush into the locker room with the time on my mind. “I have 20 minutes to change and get ready for the game” I say to myself. As we were waiting for our coach Tara to get to the school, I hear overhear girls saying how their day went and the latest gossip that’s going around school. We hear the rumbling of the bus as it gets closer to us. We all start to file in a line and prepare to get onto the bus and head out to our first field hockey game.

We arrive on the field and scope out Minnechuag, as they are warming up. With only a couple more minutes left before game we finish our warm up and get prepared for a hard but good game. The ref asks if each goal keeper is ready and then he blows his whistle, for the game to begin! The first half was tough but after the first 12 minutes I finally put the ball in the net. After that I felt an adrenaline rush and our team picked up the pace.

Half time finally came and passed quickly, we all filed back on the field ready to end this game with a win. Minnechuag scored a goal against us quickly in the second half. It was a disappointment to us but we kept our heads up. Finally with the last 10 or so minutes Sam McKenzie slapped one right past the opposing goalie. We jumped up and down for joy and excitement. Then next 10 minutes we all knew we had to play our best and tightest defense on them. Keeping the ball down at our offense was a must. The final whistle blew and we were all in such shock! We just beat one of the toughest team and they weren’t in our league. We all were so proud of each other and the great teamwork we had. It was games like this that made me love field hockey and my teammates.

I go through all the songs on my Ipod, running and tired but need something to motivate me and keep me going at a steady pace. Then I hear a fast pace song in my head phones and pushes me to go faster. My 4 GB silver Ipod Nano is much more than just another electronic. It holds all of my favorite music in which I can listen to whenever I please. It helps get me excited and pumped up for games. My Ipod also helps me relax before going to bed or whenever I just need to calm down. As you can tell my Ipod is of great value to me and I use it as much as possible.

I use my ipod when I run, for sports to pump me up, doing homework, and even just hanging around. It’s exciting when I just downloaded new songs onto my Ipod and can listen to it whenever without having to wait on the radio for it to come on. Which brings me to another reason I love it, I like how I can listen to whatever song whenever. I might be in the mood for an older song so that means I can just play it instead of having to hope that a radio station will play it.

My Ipod and game against Minnechaug provide me with the same feeling. When I think about them it makes me happy and glad that I have my Ipod and the memory of the game. My Ipod is of value to me because it gives me energy when I need it and it is always there to provide me entertainment. The memory of my game is a priceless value because no one can take away from me what I was feeling at the end of that game. I felt shocked and overwhelmed with joy and amazement. Together they are of great value to me and alone they are still valuable but each in a different way.

The memory of my field hockey game against Minnechaug is hard to compare with my 4GB silver Ipod. Both are very valuable to me but in different ways. Today the word value means different things to different people. In a world like ours where, advertisements are constantly competing against one another, how can we determine what is value? What do you consider to be valuable and what isn’t?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lida,
This essay is very good.You explained how you felt about each value and described the moments very vividly, and creatively. You make the reader feel they are in the moment you are describing, which keeps the reader interested in your writing. I wouldn't change anything about your essay. I understood why you value each item and why they are important to you. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Lida,
Your essay was delightful. I could really tell what you were feeling at that wicked exciting field hockey game against minnechaug, way to go!! The part about your ipod was great as well. I liked how you said that you could listen to your favorite music whenever you want without waiting for a radio station to play it.

Anonymous said...

This was a really good essay. You described vividly both moments. I think the strongest part of your essay was the field hockey game description. It really shows that yo love it and it really shows why. I don't think there's anything in your essay that I would change. This was a really good essay. I really understand why you said your ipod was important because I wrote about mine to.

Anonymous said...

Lida,
I thought that you did an excellent job on your essay. It was very well written. When you were describing your game against Minnechaug, you did a great job giving details. While I was reading it, it made me feel like I was there, watching the game. I also enjoyed your conclusion because you left the reader with a question.
One thing to remember for next time is to maybe try using a wider range of vocabulary. But awesome job otherwise (:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading Lida's essay. I think when she decribes her field hockey game that she uses a lot of really good detail. I got really hooked on reading her essay at this part. This is because I could make a clear image of what was going on in the game and exactly how she was feeling at certain points. I believe that her Ipod section was another strong part of her story also. My Ipod is a very valuable item to me as well and I can relate to the way she felt. I liked Lida's essay a lot.

Anonymous said...

HEY LIDA,
I thought you did nasty on your essay. You did a fantastic job on describing what happens before a game. You also described your Minneachaug game very well. You sound like you really like field hockey, sweet. Your ipod part was written well also. You gave a prime example and described it with implicit detail. When reading your ipod section, it reminded me of my essay because we both listen to them at similar times. You did a great job on this essay!

Anonymous said...

Lida,
This paper was extremely well-written. I thought it was really nice how you spent an equal amount of time describing each seperate topic. You could really tell how much you enjoyed both objects. I think one thing you could have done to make a little more personal is to give your own oppinion about what you think value is but over all it was really great!

Anonymous said...

Your essay was really well-written Lida. You were creative and descriptive throughout the whole paper. I liked how you really explained that game against Minnechaug. Also, how you said that your ipod can calm you down and/or pump you up. Overall, It was a great paper and essay.