Friday, October 12, 2007

Value Essay by Katie P.

In life many people have things that are valuable to them. They are the things that cost the most and what things would have a money value. No one really realizes that things don’t have to be worth something to be valuable. Things that you don’t have to pay for are sometimes worth more. The things that really matter though are the things that you have all the time and are always there. You should want those things right? Then why do we always have to have the best of what there is.

I am riding in the car down the same highway that I always do on the last week of July. I am so excited planning on having the time of my life. Lying on the beach and hanging out with my two best friends in Rhode Island. We turn the corner and I see the cottage. I know that cottage by the back of my hand. I have been going there since I was born. I love it there. Right on the beach and everything is just perfect. I am so excited for it to be finally be summer. I walk in the cottage and it is the same way it always is. I run up the spiral staircase and upstairs to see the cots in the same position that they had been in last year. I put my bathing suit on and wait for everyone else to get ready to go to Scarborough beach. The waves are just right and sometimes they are towering over you. The sun feels like it hits my body just right, as I lie on my towel hoping for the perfect tan. Every thing just feels right when I am there the sound of the waves, the smell of the beach. It is all just so relaxing I would want to stay there for ever if I could, but it is only for a week. I know that when it’s Friday I only have two days left and I want to just stay longer. I know that is why I probably value my time in Rhode Island.


My camera, I feel like I should have it all the time. I need it there to capture all the moments I have with my friends or with my family. The pictures that take up the 1GB memory card on my Kodak camera are the memories that I want to hold onto for ever. I can take videos and pictures with my camera. So when I am just hanging out with my friends and having fun I can just snap pictures of us just fooling around and being silly. The times on my camera are the ones that I know that I will want to look back on and do all over again. I value my camera so much because of this. I know that I might not be able to remember all the things that have happened when I am older. But when I look back on the pictures that are still on my camera or the ones that I have printed out I will know that some of the best times that I had were spent with my friends and family having fun, and having those times saved on my camera means so much to me. I am so glad that I can look back on those times and smile.

I value both of these things very much in my life. I look forward to going to the beach for that one week in the summer were I can just lay there on the beach. At the same time I value my camera too. I love to look back on the memories. It is also more convenient to look at than looking through photo albums. I don’t know which though that I value more. I know that when I go down to the beach I always have fun. I think though that I value my camera more. I think value it so much because it is always going to be there. The beach in Rhode Island though I am only there for a week in the whole summer. It means so much to me but when I think of all the times that I have spent with my camera. They add up to a lot more. These two things that I value are very important to me and even though I value my camera more, the two things are really different so it is hard to I had a hard time comparing and deciding which I value more. Thinking about the value of these two things though has really made me think of the things that I really value in life.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey katie!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Your essay is very good. You describe your time in Rhode Island very well and why and how much you love spending time there. You also did a great job explaining your value and love for your camera.The reader can tell you value both items equally. I had no idae you liked photography, and that you went to Rhode Island. one thing I would improve on is explaining more about actual moments with the different items. Everything else, Great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie-
I thought your did an awesome job explaining your two objects/moments and what they mean to you. I think you described the vacation in Rhode Island the best. It makes me want to go back to cape cod and for it to be summer.

Your whole essay was really strong and there wasn't one part that looked weaker than others. One suggestion I could think of is just describing your two objects/moments a little more, I wanted to know more about it, but otherwise, great job!! :)

Anonymous said...

KP,
your essay was awesome. the part about Rhode Island was described very well. you like photography, i never knew that about you thast awesome!!!!! well i guess you learn something new abouta person everyday. Everytihng in your essay was really good, but next time you might want to describe things a little more and that would just make you stories even better!!!!!!! GREAT JOB

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I really liked your essay. In the beginning, I think that you described value very well, and what it means to you. I think that you described your vacation time the best, because you used a lot of details.
I think that the essay's strength was in organization. You clearly showed where you were changing sujects, and you did that really well. I would suggest that next time you try phrasing some of your sentences differently. Good job, I really liked your essay!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I really liked your essay. I especially liked how you described being at the beach. I could picture you there. I also was surprised to find out that you liked photography.
I also liked how you compared the two items and explained how you liked one more than the other. One thing i think you could improve on is using more decriptive words. Altogether though the essay was very well written.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I really loved your essay. It describes so much about how you love to go to Rhode Island and how you love to spend time there with your two best friends. Your paragraph on taking pictures was very well written. You used a lot of detail on what kind of camra it was, and you could defently tell that it was your pricy value.
Your opening paragrpah was also written. You could tell the difference in both values, and you could determin which was pric and priceless. I think that was your best part of your essay. You hooked the reader into your paper, so taht they would want to read more. Maybe next time you could try to work on your closing paragrah. If i were you i would try to add more detail, or maybe one more pargrah explaining which you value more. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I loved your opening paragraph. It was a great thesis and opening hook. Great job describing Rhode Island. That part was my favorite because I also love the beach. You also did a good job describing you camera, however, I think next time you should add a little more details. Other than that, you did a great job :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Katie!

I really liked your essay! It was very well described and thought out, I could tell. I think your a very good writer and deserve an A+ on this! The part when you described your summer week in Rhode Island is really good. It was detailed and believeable.

The only advice I would give is maybe write more in your concluding paragraph. I also enjoyed your paragraph about your digital camera. That was very well written too. Overall, I think it is a very good essay! Job well done Katie!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Wow, this essay is really, really good. I could tell that you love spending time in Rhode Island, and you love taking pictures with your camera. I think that you described both of these items the same.

I think that the strenght in your essay was the word choice. One thing that I would change adding an example of you with your camera. Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I really liked your essay and I think you did a fantastic job on it. You can tell that you value going to the beach and your camera very much. I can relate to your essay because I value those things also. I thought you did a really good job on your camera paragraphs. I especially liked when you said, "The pictures that take up the 1GB memory card on my Kodak camera are the memories that I want to hold onto for ever." I thought that was a really interesting sentence and I liked it. An overall strength would have to be detail. Your essay ended, started, and stayed strong the entire time. I always wanted to keep on reading. Good Job:]