Friday, October 12, 2007

Value Essay by Tessa H.


Today some people are spending an outrageous amount of money on things that to most people would not be necessary; but how do we decide when something is necessary, or if something has value? Most people, would likely value a home or food to feed their family. Others, may value cell phones, convertibles, mansions, and expensive jewelry. There is a difference between a pricy and priceless item, but how do we determine which has more value?

***

It was the summer of 2000 when I attended a clinic at Holyoke Community College . My parents wanted me to join some type of team, but didn’t know how to get me involved. They decided to let me pick some type of sport and I chose lacrosse. I thought it was cool that my brothers played, so I thought I would give it a shot. The Christmas of 2001, I got my first lacrosse stick. It was an orange DeBeer head, with a silver shaft. Of course it was a beginner’s stick, because my parents didn’t think I would stick with the sport. It is now the fall of 2007 and I still play lacrosse. I have however upgraded my lacrosse stick since then.

Since I have began playing I have collected about five lacrosse sticks. My favorite stick is a white Impulse head with black and orange strings. This head came with a silver shaft, but I had an orange black and white Harrow shaft that my dad put on for me. I also have 4 other Impulse lacrosse heads and on each they have either a blue or red Harrow shaft. Another lacrosse stick I have in my collection is a bright pink and lime green Solo. It’s a horrible stick to play lacrosse with because you can not scoop up the ball with it, but it’s really colorful and pretty.

The cost of lacrosse sticks has gone up since my first one. Heads did cost in the price range of $40-100 and now they most likely range anywhere from $60-150. The more expensive the head is the more likely it was be a good company that makes it. You also need to pay for a new shaft when you buy a head, unless you want the metal one that comes with it. In my opinion Harrow shafts are the best to buy because they have many different kinds, for both guys and girls. However the cost of one of these shafts can get pricy as well. Most of my harrow shafts range from $100-140 but you can pay less or more, depending on what type you get.

***

“I think togetherness is a very important ingredient to family life.” (Pat Riley)

My family finds little time to spend with each other. My sister recently just got married and moved out, and my brothers are usually out, working or school. When we are together we make the most of it. Being with them and having my family around would have to be my favorite “priceless” value ever.

My family has some sort of a daily routine. We go of to either work or school everyday, but at the end of the day when everyone has finished work, school and sports we gather around the kitchen table for dinner. It almost had a festive feeling because there are so many people all wanting to share their day. After dinner we migrate towards the living room where our T.V. is located and either my brother or my dad will flip to channel 51 to watch the Red Sox game.

Everyone in my family is a huge Sox fan and we watch the game every night they are on. Together we cheer and sometimes we yell at the T.V. if JD Drew is up to bat. Some times on weekends my mom will invite my aunt and uncle, Joanne and Joe over with their kids Caralyn, Mara, Alex, and Dan over to watch the game with us. They are huge red sox fans as well. My mom will make a ton of snacks, and we will pig out while watching the game. It’s nice that we can all share the love of baseball and especially the Red Sox.

As you can see I value my lacrosse sticks, and being with my family to watch the Red Sox games. I value them in different and similar ways. My lacrosse sticks allow me to play the game I love. However while having my lacrosse sticks; they always break, or can get ruined. This is why I would have to say even though I value both; I do value my family more. When my lacrosse sticks break, my family doesn’t and I will always have them and they will be there more me; Even if it’s by watching the game together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tessa,
I really liked your essay. You used a lot of detail in describing lacrosse. After reading your essay I wanted to play lacrosse. You used a lot of detail on the sticks.
You must really like the red sox. I think it is great that you and your family spend time together. It is cool that every one has the same interests. Your essay was really good.

Anonymous said...

Tessa,
Great essay, it was awesome. I like how you talk about your lacrosse sticks and how you value those very much, but you value spending time with your family more. I especially liked the quote at the beginning of the family section and how you say "lacrosse sticks break and families don't." The biggest strength of the essay is the paragraph about family and the Red Sox, it was extremely well-written. I think next time in the lacrosse paragraph, you should talk more about how much you value your lacrosse sticks in the paragraph about lacrosse. Amazing essay, great job.

Anonymous said...

Tessa,
What a lovely essay. I could feel how much you love lacrosse and being with your family watching the red sox. I could believe how many sticks you had! I can see though how sticks break, while families won't, so you really showed you value family more. I think you did a great job describing how your family has sort of like a routine, I think that was your strength. I thoough it was wonderful when you used the quote by Pat Riley. Maybe next time you could describe a scene, whil your using your lacrosse sticks, like how you described how your families get together to watch the Red Sox. I thought this essay was amazingly awesome, and i loved it very much!

Anonymous said...

Tessa,
Wow, I really like your essay. I love how you talked about something that coasted a lot of money, but than switched to something that you couldn’t bye. That one ended up being the strongest thing you talked about. I think that the strongest part on your essay was when you used the quote saying, "Lacrosse sticks break and families don't." I thought it was a very good quote to use.

I think that the strength in your essay was how it was written. In your intro paragraph I thought that I had to keep on reading. It got me hooked. A little advice I would give you is to talk less about brands and talk more about how you value your sticks. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tessa!
Your essay was very well written. Even though I don't play lacrosse, you described it in a way that made it easy for me to understand what you were talking about. You used great deatils too.
I think it's cool that you and your family all enjoy watching the Red Sox together. I like your concluding paragraph the most because you say, "lacrosse sticks break and families don't." Very well done!

Anonymous said...

Hello Tessa!
I really enjoyed reading your essay! It was full of information about lacrosse and interesting information about your family watching the Red Sox. I think it was a very good idea that you chose to compare your family and your lacrosse sticks. I really liked your wording.

I think that saying that your family spends time together and is close is awsome! Most families these days don't even communicate! I'm glad that you found this priceless. It shows that you truly do know how to value things in your life. This is certainly a very good, well written essay! Good job.

Anonymous said...

Tessa E. Holmes,

I thought that your essay was really good. I can see that you value oyur lacrosse sticks a lot but your family much more. Every time that you described you and your family watching the red sox game together I felt like i was there. I think that a big strength in your essay was that you really knew the difference between value and pricelessness. You expressed that very well. I think that you used a lot of rich vocabulary words that made the story more interesting. I can relate to your essay becuase my family does pretty much the same thing as your. Even yell at the tv when the red sox are playing. I really enjoyed your essay. It was well-wirtten and it made the reader feel like they were there picking out lacrosse sticks with you and watching the red sox game as well. :-)