Friday, October 12, 2007

My Values by Zack T.

In our world today everyone wants the best of the best. It is hard to learn that something valuable to you is not always expensive, and sometimes the item is priceless. Yes you could buy a multi-million dollar house, or you could have something priceless, such as friends or family that are always there for you. For me, there are things that I value that are expensive, and things I value that are free. Both mean a lot to me but my friends and family I could not replace, whereas I could replace my ipod or bike.

My bike is the most valuable thing I have that costs money. I value it for a few different reasons. First of all, it gets me everywhere I need to be, without bothering someone for a ride. Also, instead of wasting gas and polluting the world, I ride my bike for free. When a car takes about 5 minutes to drive 3 miles, I can ride my bike 5 miles in 10-15 minutes. As I am doing so, I am getting lots of exercise and enjoying the day.

I love bikes. I ride my bike everyday of every week. It is very fun and I love to do it. There have been a couple of times when I have ridden my bike very far without even realizing it, and then having to turn around. The only thought on my mind was that I had to ride my bike back the distance I had already rode it. My bike is silver with some red on it and a little black, and is called an SE. My bike is a very unpopular bike because only a few of them were ever made. It costs $500.00 when it is not on sale. Thankfully I went to go buy it when it was on sale and it only cost me $350.00. My bike is great, and I love to go on long exhausting bike rides with it.

There are also things that do not cost money, but are still very valuable to me. These include my friends, family, spending time with grandparents, or anything else of that sort. Even though they are priceless, my friends are the most valuable thing I have. They are always there for me and will support me no matter what I do. I also know that I can always trust them.

Every day after school when I was younger, me and all my neighborhood friends would meet up. I had 3 friends that lived in the neighborhood, all of them were 2 years older than me, but that didn’t matter. We would get together and skateboard, or play video games, and a lot of other things. Unfortunately though, one of them moved to the other end of South Hadley, and one of them I just don’t hang out with anymore.

I also have made friends away from my neighborhood, up at the campground I go to. I go camping every weekend and hang out with friends up there in the Berkshires. They mean a lot to me and I know that I can do anything and they will support me. They own the campground, so we will do work there and keep the place clean while having a good time. Friends are great to have because anything you need help with they will know what to do. When you have a friend for a long time, you start acting similar and knowing a lot about the other person. I can trust my friends to get me my homework if I miss a day of school, or I can trust them to watch my dog when I go on vacation. Friends are great to have, and you can never have enough.

So as you can see, something that is valuable to you could cost $500.00 or it could be priceless. My bike does mean a lot to me, but I have no clue what I would do without my friends. Friends are always there for you, but whenever you ride a bike, you know it will be a great time. Value to me is enjoying something and how much something means to you, it has nothing to do with money. All in all, I value things that cost money, and things that are priceless.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

zack,
i think your essay was awesome. i have a bike too. but i don't ride as much as you do. its a mountain bike. its blue, purple and silver. i think bikes are a good way of transportation too. but i am very lazy sometimes and usually ask for a ride. you described your bike very well. the part that i can relate to also is the friends. i think my friends are the most important things in my life (besides my family). i don't think i'd be this way without them. i'm not really talking about my friends here either. i made really good friens in canada. i've never had that close of friends before. i miss them a lot. other than that i thought your essay was well written and well thought out.

Anonymous said...

What's up Zack!
I liked that essay a lot. I think that mountain bikes are cool too. I have a white one. I think it is good how you talk about how expensive things are just as valuable as free things.
I thought that your descriptoin of your friends was the better part, because it seemed more cohesively written. Your sentences were longer and better expressed your ideas.
I liked your descriptions, especially of your bike, and I also liked your overall message.
In later essays you could try to work on lengthening your sentences and coming up with better descriptive adjectives, but overall I thought it was a great, weel-written essay.

Anonymous said...

I liked reading Zack's paper a lot. While reading i could tell how much dedication and devotion he gives to his bike. Throughout explaining where he goes when using it and what the bike looks like, he uses a lot of rich detail. I also enjoyed how well Zack showed his respect for his friends. My favorite part was how he explained how he loved his bike but he'll always need his friends more then his bike. I think that some people get carried away and forget how important your family or people who surround them are. I think this piece is very well written and enjoyed reading it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Zack, good job on your essay! You did great on comparing your two items. I don't own a bike like yours, i don't even think i've been on a bike since the 3rd grade but when reading your essay makes me want to have one again. I think its good how you chose your friends as a value and i agree that they are completely different values but at the same time both worth so much to you. Next time I would try to use more adjectives to describe things. Overall though you did an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Zack,
You did very good describing everything in your essay. What I liked most was when you talked about your bike. It reminded me of when I used to love my bike also. When you talked about your friends you also gave really good examples. Like when you go to the campground. You did great on this essay and I’d love to read more from you.

Anonymous said...

Good job Zackaria! I thought you did a pretty good job on your essay. You were descriptive on what you use your bike for and where you ride it. Your paragraph about your friends had many good examples and you said what your friends mean to you. I liked how you said that your friends mean more to you than your bike does. Overall, I thought you wrote a great paper.