Friday, October 12, 2007

My Values by Zak G.

As the saying goes, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. In life, people take many things for granted. Sometimes we are blind to see what matters most to us. I have many values in my life and I appreciate them. I have had many values in my life that I really appreciate and these values can help people to live good lives.

My lacrosse stick is one of the most valuable things to me. It costs two hundred twenty five dollars. The shaft on my lacrosse stick is a silver Debeer Titanium Enhanced. My lacrosse head is called a Brine Answer and it is purple. I have had my lacrosse stick for about a year now. I got it last year at one of my Western Mass All Star lacrosse tournaments at the University of Massachusetts. My lacrosse stick has been basically everywhere that I have been since I have had it.

I take my lacrosse stick with me everywhere I go because sometimes I might be bored and I will just do tricks with it and having your lacrosse stick with you will only make you have better stick skills and be a better player. Also, whenever I am near a school or something with a solid wall I will play wall ball with my lacrosse stick. That is one of the best things that you can do to make yourself better at stick skills. My first lacrosse stick that I ever had was only about thirty dollars. I actually got it on vacation when I went to New Hampshire. It was an all blue stick. After that year I started to play lacrosse.

Sunday mornings are probably the best day of the week. I can sleep as late as I want and I know that I don’t need to rush in order to get to school on time. I usually sleep until around 11 o’clock. I roll out of my bed and by doing this I wake up my dog also because he sleeps right next to my bed. I go out to the kitchen and I can smell the pancakes and the bacon. My mom always cooks pancakes, bacon, and eggs on Sunday mornings for breakfast. My two sisters and I play sports so my family doesn’t get to eat together a lot because of sports. On Sundays we usually are all here for breakfast though. After I eat I always watch Sports Center for about an hour if I wake up early enough but if I don’t I watch the pre-game show for the NFL football games. On Sundays I always stay home until at least around 5 because I always bet on the games so I want to see the games that I bet on. My favorite team is the New York Giants so I always watch the whole game no matter what. Sunday mornings and that overall day is amazing because I usually don’t have to do anything the whole day I just lie around.

On some other Sundays my family will go out to eat. Most of the time that we go out to eat we would go to Ihop. I would always get the same thing. I would get pancakes, bacon, and eggs with chocolate milk. That’s all I have ever got from there. After that my dad would drop off my mom and my two sisters at my house and we would go somewhere to watch the football games that day. If my family went out to eat me and my dad would always go out somewhere to watch the football games, but if we stayed at home to eat my dad and I would stay home to watch them. I always like to out to eat because we usually go to my Uncles house and he has a 60 inch flat screen television.

I have many things that I value such as my lacrosse stick, but I can’t compare that to my Sunday mornings. Some things that you can put a price tag on can be very valuable to you but not as valuable as something that you can’t put a price tag on. If I could choose one of the two to always have forever I would easily pick Sunday mornings because I can replace my lacrosse stick. I don’t think I could replace the fun time that I have on Sunday mornings. You can replace the things that may be valuable but some other things you can’t.

As you can see, sometimes you can’t just buy the things that you want. You could be really rich, but at the same time you might not have a good life. You need to appreciate the things that life gives you. In my life I have many values that I can put a price tag on but at the same time I have many other “priceless” moments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicly written. I can easily see how much you value both items. I like the way you desribed the lax stick. You might have wanted to change your word choice a little or make your Sundays description stronger, but overall I enjoyed reading your essay. Might I suggest that you change your sentences to make them less repetative. Very nice job.

Anonymous said...

Zak,
This is very well written. I like the way you you put detail. into describing your lacrosse stick. I can tell that you really value both of the items that you have described, and i really enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...

This was a nicely written essay Zak. Nice description of your laxcrosse stick. You might want to describe your Sunday mornings more. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed many parts of the essay, especially your message to appreciate what you have. I would have to say that your description of Sundays was stronger overall; I thought it was longer and more thoroughly thought out. This does fit in with your message, though, because you said you valued the Sundays more. I thought the descriptions of your items were excellent also. I'll make one small recommendation: be more creative with your descriptors. The sentences tend to get repetitive when you use the same words over and over. Other than that, it was an excellent essay.