Friday, October 12, 2007

Ipods and the Beach: How they are Valuable to Me By Maddie M.

Today in our world, living in 2007, it’s hard to tell the difference from what’s truly valuable, and what’s not. We see all of the famous people and celebrities dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on silly little things like diamond encrusted cell phones. Celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Nicole Richie all pay somebody to glue diamonds onto their cell phones. I understand that diamonds are a girls’ best friend, but why somebody would do that is beyond me. They’re all going to fall off one day.


I think that sometimes people get too caught up in who has the most expensive items, and they think that it’s a competition, but it’s not. What’s valuable to me might not be valuable to others.
Something like my ipod and the beach are valuable to me because they are special to me, but things like lacrosse sticks and basketballs are not because I don’t play those sports. So after you read this, I hope you will think about what’s truly valuable to you, and what’s not.


My ipod is one of the most valuable things to me. I got it for Christmas last year. It was a gift from my mom, and two little sisters. It’s a pink ipod nano that I had been asking for more than a year. I love it because it allows me to listen to whatever kind of music I like, and the best part is that there are no commercials. My ipod also helps me relax. If I’ve had a stressful day, I just take it out, plug in the headphones, and press play. Sometimes I put my ipod on its dock, and the music blares through the speakers.


Not only does my ipod relax me, but it also helps me get pumped up for a big meet. The loud music and fast energy helps me focus on what I really want to do, win. I remember one time last season, we had the biggest meet of the season, and I sat in the locker room for thirty solid minutes, just listening to music, trying to get pumped and focused at the same time. I think it worked because we ended up winning.


The beach is somewhere I go every year with my family. It’s a tradition that I look forward to all year long. The beaches there are so beautiful; it’s my favorite place in the world. The beach makes me feel so happy, and carefree. Part of the reason why I love the beach so much is because I am a swimmer. I’ve been swimming competitively for almost ten years now, so when I go to the beach, I feel like I’m at a meet getting ready to swim a race.


It’s amazing to see much people change over the course of one year. My littlest sister, Sydney is five now and I can still remember her first summer at the beach. She hated the sand so much; she wouldn’t even stick her toe in it. If the smallest grain of sand were on her, we would hear about it. She didn’t really like the water either. Now today, she swims on the swim team with me, and she loves the sand too.


My favorite moment at the beach is when I lay down in my chaise, with my feet in the sand and listen to my ipod. I get to do my two favorite things, plus I get a nice tan. Something about the sound of the waves crashing makes me feel so calm and relaxed. I also love the feeling of the sand beneath my toes and the sound of seagulls fighting over the last crumb of bread. Listening to my ipod combined with lying out on the beach is one of my favorite memories, and the best part is that I get to do it every summer of every year.

Things like my ipod are worth a lot of value to me because they are expensive, and it is also meaningful because it was a gift from my family. Things like the beach are valuable to me because the beach makes me happy, and you can’t put a price tag on happiness.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi maddie!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Maddie, i think your story is deffinetly right. i like how you wanted your ipod for a year and when you got it you still cherished it. i thought that was really well written. i also like how you go to the beach with your family every year.i also like how you can connect the beach to your swimming activities. and how you got connect your ipod and the beach together. i think you are very good at ending your essays. i liked your concluding sentence. one ting that you could maybe do next time is using a little more vocabulary.

Anonymous said...

Maddie,
I've been to the beach with you and can see why you love it so much. It was cool how you compared your swim team to the beach. You also wrote how you use your ipod on the beach and how it is your two favorite things together. One thing I noticed was a few spelling errors, but other than that it was really good. I also thought your introduction was good where you talked about the diamonds on the celebrities cell phones.

Anonymous said...

Maddie,
your essay was ...AMAZING! i can totally relate. i been going to the beach with you ever since i was 2, and now i know why iy measn so much to you. ( haha this essya brings back so many memoeries from our childhood) you used lots of descriptions and i ddint think there was anything wrong with your essay. GRAET JOB!

Anonymous said...

Maddie,
Wow i really liked your story. I could deffidently relate to this because I love to go to the beach too. Another thing that I liked was how you encorporated your family in.
Also, I thought the conclusion was very well written. You compared both items very well. One thing, however, that you could work on is using descriptive wording. otherwise the essay was very good. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I thought your essay was good Maddie. I liked your paragraph about your Ipod and how is relaxs you and serves for other purposes as well. I thought that the beach paragraphs were good but not as strong as your Ipod one. I didn't understand why the paragraph on your sister was in there but it was cute. Next paper i would try to use a little more detail on the second object but great job!

Anonymous said...

Maddie M,
I really enjoyed reading your piece. It was very deep and clear to read. I liked the way you described all of your cherished moments spent at the beach. It really made me relate to where you where and created a picture in my mind. I liked when you used ‘your own voice’ in the piece, I really listened to what you had to say about what value meant to you. It was nice how you connected with other people.
The writing style in the piece was great as well, I also like the way your paragraphs all connected and made sense all together. You didn’t get off topic and had very few grammar mistakes. While writing another assignment, consider re-reading your essay to make sure its 110% perfect! NICE JOB!

Anonymous said...

Maddie,

I thought that your essay was well-written. I can see that you value your ipod and that the beach is a priceless place for you to be. The vocab in your essay was well used. I think that the over all strength of your essay was how you explained the beach and what you do there. You did a really great job on your essay and i would be looking forward to reading another essay that you write. :-)