Friday, October 12, 2007

My Values by Connor A.

How can you really tell if you value something? Is it the way that object or moment makes you feel? Is it the anticipation for that moment to come or the magic that object creates? For me it’s the anticipation for the moment I go to Maine for vacation and the feeling I get when I dive into the cool water in my pool.

Some of the best times I’ve had have happened it Maine. Every year, for the past 3 years, I have gone to Ogunquit, Maine and spent a week there with my family and my best friend, Nolan Clark, and his family. I have been going to Maine my entire life but this past summer was only my 3rd year in Ogunquit. We have a house that’s about a 10 minute walk from the beach and has an awesome view of the ocean. The house is pretty big. Each year we have an average of 10 people staying at our house. What also makes going to Maine one of my most favorite things ever is all the people from South Hadley that go there. Every year at least 15 families go up to Maine on the first Saturday in August and begin a week of fun filled beach going and relaxing. Aside from the families that go, there are usually a group of about 20 high school kids from South Hadley and some college kids who camp at the campgrounds near the beach. Another reason why I love Ogunquit is because the town is quite small and we live right near the center of town, at night, my friends and I can walk into town and go hang out there or at the beach and not be bothered. When I’m in Maine it’s impossible to be bored. Every day, if the weather is nice, we’re at the beach and on days that it’s not we have some friends come over to our house and play cards or just hang out. At the beach all the kids have big football games, as well as play horse shoes and volleyball. The water there is usually a little cold but you can’t go to the beach and now go in the water at least once. Maine gives me the greatest feeling, I get to go away from everything happening here and just have an awesome time with great people and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world.

One thing I enjoy a lot is swimming. I love diving into the cool water after a long hot day or after a rough sports game. Sometimes when it’s hot or humid in the morning the first thing I do when I get up is jump in my pool and then sit in the sun to dry off. I have had my pool for about 6 years and each year that goes by I enjoy swimming in it more and more. Another thing is that i sweat a lot during sports and the pool is the perfect thing when I come home and don’t want to take a hot shower. When we’re on summer vacation and I’m home alone, bored, I can always go in my pool and enjoy having time to myself. Usually my friends come over to hang out and we go swimming. My pool is also useful for is killing small pesky animals. Every once in a while we find a mouse or a mole and sometimes even a squirrel floating in the water. On the other hand my pool is great for entertaining when there isn’t a dead animal in it. Whenever my parents have family over my cousins don’t get out of the pool the whole time they’re here. I also have a cool little water fall on the side of my pool that I like to stick my head under. Lastly my favorite thing about my pool is flying off the diving board into the water. Doing a dive after jumping 10 feet in the air and slicing in the water is an awesome feeling.

I value these two things very much because they both make me feel relaxed. When I go to Maine I’m away from everything else that’s going on and diving in my pool makes me feel revived and refreshed. I main reason I value my yearly vacation to Maine is because I get to be with great people and not worry about things no matter how stressful it might be here I can go to Maine and its totally different. My pool is special because I can be with my friends in it and its peaceful listening to the waterfall when there’s no one else out there but me.

There are so many things in this world that can be valuable to someone. It could be something of money value or something that is very special to you that no one else could understand. I think it is very important for people to realize what they really value and need in their life because once you find out what that is I believe you can be truly happy. Value to me is not how much something cost but the sensational feeling I get from it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

connor good job. i liked the detail and i can tell you love going to maine just from your writing. i like the great detail and diction. you sound like an author or something. the only problems with your essay is some grammar and spelling mistakes, all the paragraphs fit and in there order they fit, i like the paragraph adn topic changes. good job!

Anonymous said...

Dear Connor,
You really made me feel like I was going to go to Maine with you next year. The anticipation I can tell is amazing. And when you talk about your pool, it really just makes me want to go swimming ha-ha. I think that you really brought your point across about values. What I was a little unsure on though, was which one was the priceless and which one was the priced. I take it that going up to Maine is the priceless though.

Your strength I believe is your word choice. You are really descriptive, and I think that's why I enjoyed your story so much. I don't really know what you were weak at. The ending of your story could have been a little stronger but other then that every thing's good. Nice work Connor =]

Anonymous said...

Nice essay Connor. You were really descriptive and vivid in your paper. I really like your pool and swimming in it. I've never come across a dead animal in your pool, but I'm sure your quite excited when you find one. I found very little spelling and grammar mistakes in it. Overall, you did a great job.