Friday, October 19, 2007

What I Care About Most by Rachael B.



Who can say what is valuable and what
is not?  What do I think is most valuable?  I think
that anything that can’t be replaced is priceless. 
You remember that special moment years from now, or
will always have that certain sentimental item. 
Special moments are memories that you can’t put a
price on.  You can always buy new clothes, but an item
of clothing that someone made for you can’t be
replaced.  That someone who cares about you made that
item of clothing out of love, and you can’t put a
price on something made out of love. 
                There are countless moments and items
that are priceless to me. There is one in particular,
a quilt that my grandma made for me one Christmas.
When I was four years old, my grandma stopped by my
house with a gift. I had no idea what I was about to
see. When I tore the Christmas paper I saw the most
beautiful quilt. It had green and purple butterflies
and white swirls. The background was full of different
shades of purple patches. It was so creative, that I
could tell that it took a lot of time and effort to
finish. On the inside corner of the quilt she wrote my
name, the date, and how much she loves me.  Every
night I sleep with that quilt, and I plan to keep it
forever. Maybe someday I could give it to my child,
and hope that they will love it as much as I do.  
                I do value financial items too, such
as my CDs. Music is very important to me in many ways.
When I listen to music, it takes me to a different
place in my head. I use it to forget about any
problems that I’m having, and it makes me calm. I like
to listen to rock music, such as Led Zeppelin, Foo
Fighters, Nirvana, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Smashing
Pumpkins, Queen, and many more. When I listen to any
of the artists, I find that the lyrics really speak to
me. I enjoy listening to these certain bands because
the lyrics come from the heart. They are meaningful,
and I can sometimes relate to them. An example would
be Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain. His music to me it is very
deep and real. He was honest, and he expressed his
true feelings through his words and music. Music is an
important part of my life. 
              In a way my quilt and my CDs are
similar, and are opposite from each other at the same
time. Both of them bring me pleasure and help me to
relax. I sometimes use them at the same time. They do
have their differences though. If one of my CDs broke
I could always buy a new one and be satisfied. This
quilt was given to me when I was young, and those are
memories that I treasure. My grandma could always make
me another one, but it would not be the same. I have
had this quilt for so long that nothing can replace
it. I wouldn’t only use it as a blanket; I would wrap
myself up in it when I was upset, nervous, or scared.
When I do wrap myself in my blanket, it reminds me of
better times, and how much I’m loved. Not only does it
keep me warm physically, but also it keeps me warm
emotionally.
               
               Both of these items are important to
me, but which one means the most?
I would choose my quilt over my CDs. Why do you ask?
This quilt was made for me because she really cares
about me. Someone who takes the time and effort to
make me something means more to me than something
bought. It comforted me when I was small, and it still
does now. I like curling up in that quilt on rainy
days, when I’m sick, and when I start to get tired. My
CDs are important to me, but I can always buy new
ones. I can’t just replace a quilt that my grandma
made special for me. It means the world to me. I could
buy a replacement quilt, but wouldn’t be the same
because whoever made it didn’t think of me during the
process, like my grandma did. I plan to keep it
forever. Overall, financial items are nice to have,
but priceless items and moments mean even more to me.
I can live without materialistic items because they
are not meaningful in a sentimental way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Racheal!!
I really liked your eassy! It was much improved from when I first read it! It was good to begin with, but now is even better! Overall, it was a good, well thought out essay!

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE AWESOME TASTE IN MUSIC!!! Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, and The Who ROCK!!! I don't know you but I can already tell that you must be super cool! KEEP ON ROCKIN' WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO! YEA!!!