Friday, October 12, 2007

What is Valuable? By Meg M.

In today's society we have forgotten the value of objects. People are so obsessed with buying the most expensive handbags or importing water from different countries for excessive amounts of money. What is valuable and what is not? Do any of us really know?

It is a blistering hot summer day. The intense softball game has just begun and everyone is pumped. My position for the day is shortstop. The batter steps up consciously awaiting her pitch. She slams the bat down on the plate and prepares to hit the ball. Our pitcher quickly winds up and fires the ball toward the plate.

Pow, the ball hits the bat and the ball races toward me. My hand tightens up inside my glove and the sweat starts to collect in my palm. Within seconds I find the ball miraculously placed in the pocket of my glove. I fish the round ball out of my glove and simultaneously throw the sphere toward the girl at first base. The umpire calls, "OUT" and the inning is over.

My softball glove is the most important piece of equipment that I own. Without my glove I would not be able to play softball. The firmness of the glove provides protection against the ball, while the softness makes for good control. Even though my glove may smell horrendous, it is still a very important piece of equipment to me.

*****

It is Mother's Day weekend, also known as dance recital for me. As usual, my routine is up first and opens the entire show. The show begins in five minutes, so i wait patiently behind the curtain to go on stage. Suddenly, the opening announcements finish, and I am about to start. Butterflies swarm my stomach and my heart quickly races uncontrollably.

As I proceed onto the stage all eyes are on me. My butterflies start to subside, but my heart is still racing. Then, I face forward and I can see everyone in the audience. There are massive lights shining right onto my face, and I can feel the heat generating from them. The song keeps playing and I can feel the excitement running through my body. People in the audience are hollering and cheering people's names. The within an instant the song is over. The audience claps and screams while we take a bow.

Dancing on stage gives me the greatest feeling of accomplishment in the world. Getting up in front of people, to me, is very hard, but dancing in front of people is so much easier. It also gives me confidence to try new things. When I am on stage dancing that moment is priceless and nothing, not even my softball glove, can compare to that.

*****

I value both my softball glove and dancing on stage for different reasons. Although, some of the reasons may be somewhat the same. My softball glove provides for protection and control against an incoming ball. It also serves as a much needed piece of equipment when playing in a softball game. I do not know exactly how much my glove is worth but I would estimate at around forty dollars. It is a little torn from all of the work that is has been through but that is what gives the glove some character. I also get to let out anger by throwing the ball harder and going after it more.

Without my glove I would not be able to play softball. I would not be able to field the ball or catch it. That would not be good because it is my favorite sport and not being able to play would greatly upset me. So my glove is quite valuable in my playing the game.

Dancing on stage excites and builds confidence for me. It also relaxes me because I can let out my emotions. Also, it makes me feel as if I have accomplished something important. I would diffidently say that for me, it is priceless because you can not put a price tag on feelings that you get when you do something that you love.

My softball glove and dancing on stage allow me to let out some emotions that I can not explain. They also make me feel proud of myself and accomplished. The things that I most value are ones that I can express myself in many different ways.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meghan! I thought your essay was really good, I could see how much each of your objects really meant to you. I really liked when you explained about when you dance on stage, and how you feel when catch the ball. I think your biggest strength was the conclusion. It really showed how you can compare the valuble and priceless things. Maybe you could usea little stronger vocabulary, but I thought you did a great job !

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
I thought your essay was wicked good. You seem to value your glove and dancing. I could see how much your objects meant to you. You described your items perfectly. I think you described both of your items the same. When I read both I could see a picture forming in my mind. It was great.

The strength of the essay was definitely your word choice. I didn’t know what any of the words meant, but when you set them up with the context clues I could see why you used them. I was impressed. You don’t need any advice. Your essay is great.

Anonymous said...

Meghan!
I loved your essay. You started the essay really well, and your conclusion was good as well. I think that you described your dance experience the best. You can tell how much dancing means to you.
I think your strength in your essay was in writing style. You used very good description, too. I think that maybe you should have talked a little more about softball. It was a great essay!!

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
I really enjoyed reading your essay about your softball glove and your dance recitals. The part I liked best was when you were describing what it felt like playing softball. You also did a great job stating every detail of the game, fom the weather to what everyone was feeling. I think you did a great job describing the value of playing softball to you.

One of the best things in your essay was your word choice when you were describing your valuables. Your words were very discriptive. One thing that I think that you could have added more on was the you could have made you sentences longer by combining some the sentences. I think the all together you did a good job writing your essay.

Anonymous said...

Hey meghan!
Your essay was very well written. I love all of the details that you used, it really made me feel like i was at your game and recital, watching you! The way you wrote your essay is perfect! I dont have anything to critcize becasue after i edited it, you fixed everything. Also, i like the way you incorporated a wide vocabulary, and a wide choice of sentence lengths. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Meg,
I thought your essay was really good. I love how you say that you value both your softball glove and dancing, but for different reasons. I thought both things were really vividly described. I especially liked when you talked about the moments before the recital, and how you say "Butterflies swarmed in my stomach."
In my opinion, the biggest strength of this essay
was how everything was so well described. Next time, I would advise contrasting the way you value each thing, and say if you value one over the other, or if you value them equally. Amazing Job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Meghan,
I really liked your essay. It was cool how you described about dancing on stage. I would be so scared. When you descirbed the game I felt like I was there. You used really good details. You seem to really like the rush whther your fielding a ball or dancing in front of a bunch of people. Your essay was really good!